They say you can’t teach an old dog new tricks, but we think you could give it a good go with these simple step-by-step dog trick guides.
We all love the idea of having a well trained dog. After your puppy has some basic skills like sit and stay, why not try out some more advanced dog tricks. These tricks might take a little while to learn so you'll need a little patience, but it will all be worth it in the end!
Tips for teaching your dog tricks
- Be patient.
- Use treats to help your dog learn.
- Praise your dog enthusiastically when they perform well.
- Keep sessions short (5-10 minutes), and frequent.
- Don't get angry at your dog.
Trick 1: Teach your dog to high 5
- Begin with your dog in the sit position.
- Hold a treat up to them and say ‘high 5’ whilst touching one of their paws.
- They might paw at the treat in your hand. If your dog does this, gently pick the paw up and reward your dog enthusiastically with the treat.
- Repeat these steps until your dog lifts its paw to your hand when you say they ‘high 5’ command.
- When your dog masters one paw, try to repeat these steps with the other paw!
Trick 2: Teach your dog to lie down
- Encourage your dog into a sitting position.
- With a treat in your hand, move your hand from your dogs nose to the floor.
- Your dog should follow the treat into a lying down position. When it does, reward your dog with a treat and praise enthusiastically.
- When your dog lies down easily, introduce the command ‘lie down’.
- Repeat this trick often and in different locations until your dog learns its new trick!
Trick 3: Teach your dog to roll over
- Start learning this trick with your dog in the ‘down’ position.
- Put a treat in your hand and move your hand slowly behind your dog’s neck. The goal is to get your dog to turn its head towards the treat without standing up.
- As its head reaches back towards the treat, gently turn your dog over.
- When your dog rolls over, give it the treat and praise them enthusiastically.
- Repeat this process, saying ‘roll over’ when your dog rolls completely over.
- Repeat until your dog rolls over with ease!
Trick 4: Teach your dog to fetch
- When your dog has a toy in its month, hold your hand underneath it to encourage them to drop it.
- When you get the toy, give it back until your dog learns to drop it in your hand.
- Next try throwing the toy. Begin by throwing it closer so it’s easier for your dog to learn the trick.
- After throwing the toy, hold out your palm and say fetch. Encourage your dog with a treat if you need to.
- Try throwing the toy further, each time saying ‘fetch’ until they know to bring it back.